Monday 12 March 2012

WINOL Critical Reflection - 29/02/12



Headlines: There were some brilliant quotes in the headlines of this bulletin, including "catastrophic", "bubble will burst" and "so many I don't know where to start". The only criticism I have of the headlines was the line "Dancing on thin ice", which I thought was a bit cheesy for the headlines!

Sheep: I thought that it was very professional that Tom warned that some viewers might find the package upsetting. This package was good, with relevant shots. Hetty's piece to camera was very good and the interview with Graham Boyt was well framed and relevant. It was also good that Boyt only gave comment, not facts. The only criticism I have of this piece is that the voice over needed to be louder.

Budget Cuts: Louis' voice over and initial piece to camera were too quiet and I thought it would have been better if he had talked slower. However, it was good how he walked towards the camera during his piece to camera. The archive footage used in this piece was poor quality and perhaps should not have been used, although I can appreciate this might have been all there was to use. The interview with Brian Dash was well framed but had a couple of jumps in it.

Tap Water: I thought that Dan did well to find so many shots for this piece, and I particularly liked the closing shot of water going down the sink. Dan also made sure than his GV shots were all section 8 safe. I liked how Dan was seen walking and talking with Arshad Sharif before the interview. The interview was well framed and Dan got a good quote from Sharif.

University Courses: I thought that this was another good piece from Flick, and was pleased to see that she had a notebook in her hand and made use of it throughout her piece to camera. I thought that the graphic of the pie chart was confusing and somewhat unnecessary. The interview with Nick Rowe was well framed, although the cut away to him doing work during the interview was confusing.

Assault: I thought that this was a huge improvement from George's court piece in the previous bulletin. His piece to camera was brilliant and he made good use of his notebook when giving quotes. The reconstruction was very well done and meant that the piece was a good one for the bulletin, unlike his story in the previous bulletin which would have been better as a written piece only. I think that reconstructions are something that should be used on WINOL in the future because it was much more interesting to watch in comparison to only seeing a presenter doing a piece to camera.

Sport: Needless to say, sport was once again very strong and professional.

And finally: I thought that the 'and finally' piece in this bulletin was very strong, particularly as there was an interview with a celebrity. I thought that the interview with Robin Cousins could have been cut down a bit as there were points that were a bit boring to listen to. The footage courtesy of ITV were extremely professional to include.

Overall I think that this bulletin was a huge improvement on the previous bulletins.

No comments:

Post a Comment