Monday 5 March 2012

Diary of a Winchester Lady: Island State of Mind

Until the start of this semester I absolutely loved living on an island; but that was because I had never been stuck there without medical permission to leave before. But finally, after missing the first six weeks of the semester I am back in Winchester and ready to give you more updates on the antics of my life.
Before I could continue with my studies I needed drive off the ferry in Plymouth to Winchester, and I was more than a bit anxious about the journey.  For some of you this may seem like a fairly lengthy journey, but perhaps not something to be particularly scared about. If you are thinking this then I can almost guarantee that you are not from Guernsey, and urge you to appreciate that the maximum speed limit there is 35 miles per hour and I had never driven on the ‘mainland’ before. I was fortunate enough to be given a Satnav before leaving Guernsey, and on reflection there is absolutely no way I would have been able to complete the journey without it and I am extremely grateful to have it. There was only one problem with it. Emily.
Emily was the name of the automated voice on my Satnav and, although it is shameful to admit this not only as a woman, but in a society striving for sexual equality; I didn’t trust that a woman would know how to direct me accurately to my destination. After spending the best part of half an hour fiddling with buttons I came across Satnav Dan, whose deep voice and upper class British accent filled me the confidence to blindly follow his directions while completely ignoring the fact that Emily would have given me exactly the same instructions.
It took a while to get used to Dan telling me to drive over 30 miles in one direction, as in Guernsey you can only drive nine miles in one direction before reaching the opposite end of the island. Whilst it was extremely odd to continue past my nine mile marker where I expected to reach the end of the country, I managed to settle into driving for miles on end without having to turn around
Another novelty for me was seeing signs warning of deer crossings because as well as no motorways, dual carriage ways or a 40mph speed limit, Guernsey also has a distinct lack of wildlife. That is of course with the exception of rabbits and hedgehogs. Since starting University I have been excited every time I’ve seen a squirrel and nearly an elderly man a heart attack when I squealed to myself on the train at the sight of a passing deer. Something that I have always wanted to see, but never had the opportunity to, was a badger; but that changed on my drive.
Oh yes, I have seen more badgers that I ever imagined. Unfortunately what I wanted to see was a badger scurrying around in a wooded area – not scattered across the A303. In future I will be more careful about what I wish for.
Another revelation for me, besides learning that my car can pass 35mph without exploding as I had expected it to was the shock of the price of petrol in this country. Usually I am amazed by how cheap food, clothes, alcohol and property are in England compared to my home, but petrol is the massive exception to this trend.  Back home you can get petrol for 119p per litre, which I used to think was extortionate, but after paying £30 to fill half the tank of my 999cc engine I began to wonder how anyone can afford to drive anywhere here.
So after an three hour journey, dozens of badger remains and what equates to £50 in petrol I am proud to say I made it back to university and am looking forward to continuing with my column.

No comments:

Post a Comment