Friday 18 November 2011

WINOL Critical Reflection 09/11/11

Headlines: I thought that the headlines this week were really strong. There was a good soundbite, a punchy script, and I like the natural sound on the graduate and fencing pieces.

Student Protests: I thought that it was really good that Tom had actually gone to London to report on the protests. His piece to camera was once again good and was easy to understand. He also made sure he only gave the facts, not any comments. I thought that the piece could have been stronger if he had interviewed one of the protesters, or had some footage of the protests rather than a piece to camera for the whole package. The sound quality could also have been improved, but you were able to hear him so it was not too bad!

Chris Huhne: I thought that the interview with Chris Huhne was well framed, and had a good sound quality. He did not give any of the facts, only comment, which is exactly what Chris and Brian have been stressing is essential to get right. I also thought that the footage from the debate was good because Julie managed to get a good soundbite of Huhne, and a close up shot which looked professional.

Housing: The shots that Lou had for this package were relevant and surprisingly varied given the availability of shots that would have been relevant to the piece. I thought that his voice over would have been better if he had talked a bit slower because I found it difficult to follow what he was saying. The interview with George Beckett was well framed, although it seemed as though the camera was looking down on him a little bit - but this may be a misconception on my part! I thought that the interview was a huge improvement from Lou's first interview where he was talking to the woman in the care home, because he had a close up even though Beckett was sitting down. The cut aways were confusing in this piece because they were shots of Beckett, while Beckett was being interviewed. It would have been better if Lou had been able to find a cut away of someone or something else.

I do not think that the interview with Patrick Davies was particularly well framed because he was central, the top of his head was out of shot, and the camera was too far away from him.

I thought that Lou's piece to camera was much better this week, and can tell he had made an effort to make sure he was looking up throughout it!

Occupy Bournemouth and Bin Updates: I thought it was good that updates were given to the viewer on both the occupy Bournemouth and bin collection stories. The shots for both updates were relevant and well framed.

Primary Schools: I really like the opening shot of this package. Over the shoulder shots have not really been used on WINOL so far this year, so it was a refreshing change. The shots around the classroom were a bit unsteady. The interview with Rory Perry was well framed and the sound quality was excellent. Lee did well in making sure that the second person he interviewed was facing the opposite was to Perry. I also liked how the final show was of a pound sign on the smart board, which was relevant to the story.

Sport: The Olympic Torch story was a refreshing change to the usual football updates. It was a story that would probably be of interest to people who do not particularly like sports because it is a momentous event happening in the local area. I really like the graphics showing the route of the Torch, I thought it looked really professional. However, Mikey needed to be stood slightly more to the left of the screen so that the viewer could see the entire map. There was a noticeable sound problem at the start of the piece, but this was resolved quickly.

The fencing piece was good, and again a nice change from the football. I am not sure if I liked the fact that Mikey introduced the package himself after talking about the Olympic Torch. I think it would have been better for Cara to introduce the piece. I liked the natural sound in the fencing piece, and you could still hear Mikey well. The interview with Jon Rhodes was well framed in the sense that he was not completely central in the shot. However I think it would have been better if he had not been looking so straight on to the camera. Normally I would suggest a tighter shot, but in this case I liked that you could see the Olympic badge Rhodes was wearing.

The football footage was once again of a very high standard this week.

Graduation: Flick got some really good shots of the graduates for this piece. I really like the angle she found about the identical twins with identical degrees, which added something more to the piece rather than just a normal graduation story. I liked the shot of the procession, including the Major because it was directly related to what Flick was talking about in the voice over. Like Lee, Flick made sure the second person she interviewed was looking the opposite way to the first one.

Presenting: I thought that George did a really excellent job of presenting WINOL for the first time. He looked professional, had a good pace to his voice and his hands did not look awkward! Well done George!

No comments:

Post a Comment