Friday 18 November 2011

Critical Reflection: Gratuitously Convoluted Language

So far this is the column which has taken the most research. I downloaded and read over 50 UK university prospectuses to find the best examples of unnecessarily over complicated language. I also sent for prospetuses through the post so that I would be able to photograph the covers to use as an image to go with the column.

In my first draft I named the universities I had found the quotes from. After talking it through with Katie, the features editor, she suggested that it would be best to leave out the university names because the comments could be seen as defamatory. So I changed the piece to be more generalised about UK universities in order to avoid this problem. I also made sure that when I took the photographs of the prospectus covers that the name of the universities were not visible.

I tried to make this piece as comical as possible because I think would be something that the readers could relate to. This is because the audience for the WINOL features site is largely current, past or prospective university students, presumably all of whom will have read prospectuses which choosing a university. I had written a different column for this week but, as Katie pointed out, it made more sense to use this one first because it ties in with university open days and students making university applications.

I have found that I am starting to create a style for my column, largely social commentary which I attempt to make comical when appropriate. Katie's feedback on my pieces has been invaluable, and has helped shaped my written style.

No comments:

Post a Comment