Tuesday 6 December 2011

Critical Reflection: BUS Disease

I wanted to write a piece about about how people behave on the bus this week but did not want my column to simply be me complaining. For this reason, I started thinking about other ways I could complain in a less direct manner. I eventually chose to write the piece as if annoying, inconsiderate people on the bus were suffering from a medical condition. I thought that this would be more interesting to read, and hope that the final piece turned out to be humorous.

In order to write this piece as a warning of a medical condition I researched some pre-existing material about different medical conditions so that I could see the style in which they are written. It was after reading some of these that I decided that rather than just describing the one 'sufferer', I needed to describe the 'symptoms' of the disease. The symptoms I chose to describe were ones which are common complaints of people travelling on the bus, for example people talking loudly on their phones, or taking up too much room.

One of the most difficult things for this piece was trying to get a picture to go with it. I knew that I would need a picture of a bus that did not show the registration, any adverts, or any individuals. In the end I managed to get pictures of the buses in the station with very few people around, and made sure that neither the license plate or the people in the image would be clear enough to be recognisable. I also took a picture from inside the bus of some empty seats as this was directly relevant to the piece as I had described one of
the 'symptoms' as being an inability to pick a seat on the bus.

I am really pleased with the finished piece, and think that is has been one of my favourite columns so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment